Saturday, August 9, 2008

How do Clinics and Lessons Work?

I have not had to travel as much this summer because of the many camps at Calamus Outfitters and the people who have kept me busy at home by coming to me for lessons. The people who have taken advantage of the family horse vacation package which we have been advertising for 3 years have loved it and so did I. With school starting soon and people staying closer to home again, I know I will have to go back on the road again this fall for clinics and private lessons, so I thought I would mention again how they work.
Here is how I currently structure clinics:
Clinic Days: Fridays through Mondays are the days I set aside for out of town work. I prefer two-day clinics because we will accomplish so much more and you will go away with skills you have had a chance to practice so you don't forget.
When I have a weekend open I am happy to fill it on short notice, but this year I have had a very busy schedule with most weekends booked up. So if you have a group who can agree on a weekend, the sooner I get it onto my calendar the better. I have had several saddle clubs and 4-H clubs book clinics this year. Remember I do a discount for 4-H clubs. Only $25/kid. Parents can watch for free. Minimum of 10 kids and we must have the arena for free.
Prices:
The price for a One Day Clinic is $150 per person, with a 6 person minimum and 12 person maximum. For 8-9 people the price reduces to $125/person and for 10-12 people the price reduces to $100/person.
(This price does not include stall or arena fees which vary according to the facility)
The price for a Two Day Clinic is $250/person with a 6 person minimum and 12 person maximum. For 8-9 people the price reduces to $230 and for 10-12 people the price reduces to $200.
(This price does not include stall or arena fees which vary according to the facility)
A "Private Time Clinic" can also be booked by the hour at $100.00 per hour with a 6 hour minimum, no minimum # of people. This is great for people who want to work individually or in smaller groups. This pricing seems to work out well for groups who want to work together all day or groups who prefer private time for each individual and it leaves a lot of flexibility for last minute changes. Also if two or three people want to share an hour during a "private time clinic" then it becomes very affordable.
(This price does not include stall or arena fees which vary according to the facility)
A "Mini clinic" is reserved for people who have already attended at least one or more of my clinics or camps. They get special rates because they are dedicated to continue their learning with me. These clinics are from 2 to 4 hours at requested locations for 3-6 people.
We also have mini clinics at Sherry's house in Burwell with instruction in the mornings and a FREE Trail ride in the afternoon. The ones at Sherry's place are usually during the middle of the week, (Wed.)
Private Lessons: I travel to Omaha and Lincoln on a continual basis for those dedicated students who like to take repetitive lessons.
If I am traveling to a clinic and it is not far out of my way, I have been known to come to your house for lessons. I have traveled for special cases to do a private lesson for one person at their house, the price is negotiable depending on the circumstances.
I also offer private lessons early in the morning or late in the evening before or after a clinic. And of course, I offer private lessons at my place near Burwell.
A two hour minimum is required for all private lessons.
The cost of private lessons while I am in Omaha or Lincoln is $50/hour.
If you take a private lesson in the evening at a clinic location it is $40/hour.
If I come directly to your house on my way to a clinic it is $50/hour, if it is more than 30 miles out of my way there is an additional mileage charge.
These prices will usually include the arena fee.
Private lessons at my house are only $25/hour
Auditors: Parents can watch children under 17 who are participating for free.
It is $35/person/day if you have never taken a lesson or clinic from Sherry and $25/person/day if you have.
If it is a saddle or 4-H club hosting the clinic I will share 1/2 of the auditor fees with the club.
Travel expense: If I am within driving distance to the venue then travel isincluded in the above prices. If the clinic is out of state or more than 4 hoursfrom Burwell, NE then airfare or gas mileage must be provided by the group.
Topics: For a "Private Time, Mini Clinic, or Private Lesson" it works best if a certain topic is chosen that the entire group wants to work on. If there is only two or three people working together it is best if we have something in common to work on. However, no matter what clinic you attend at some point I always work individually with each person. I will work with each person and horse on whatever they need help with the most. Since my teaching has been morphing regularly over the past 4 years I am listing some topics below to get everyone up to speed.
Booking: If you are interested in arranging a date then the best way toreach me is by phone at 308-730-2150 or 308-346-5663. I can also be reached directly by email at sej@carrollsweb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment