Monday, August 3, 2009

A Report from June Women’s Camp


By Michele,

I would like to share my experience of my 4-day, Women's Confident Leadership Camp, held in June in Burwell, NE @ Calamus Outfitters.

I took my horse Atticus, a five-year old Paint with me. I bought Atticus as a three-year old – yes the cardinal sin of horse ownership was broke. A green rider and a green horse – Yee Haw.

Anyways, Atticus and I have come a long ways together. There have been many tears and moments of freedom and joy that I will never be able to explain with words.
I wasn't sure what to expect. When we arrived and began our first day, just the thought of going outside the indoor arena AND the fact of taking a trail ride in the Sandhills was basically unthinkable. How will I control him when he breaks gait or bucks?
As we were in the indoor arena, Sherry asked us to ride at the walk and close our eyes. By God if Atticus didn't break gait. I had a meltdown and Sherry was right there to assure me that I wasn't going to stay in that frame of mind and I was going to take action and pull up with one rein to slow him and change the gait back to the walk. I started to see her words work with my actions. I have had many good friends and trainers explain this to me but for some reason, now was the time the universe chose to make me understand it and execute it.

As the group of wonderful women decided to go outside, I wanted to grow and go too. Sherry assured me that she would be right there with me. She was. Atticus tried over seven times that day to break gate and Sherry was right there coaching me along and I was changing the "normal" outcome of such an action. Even when Sherry turned to assist the others, Atticus tried and I shut him down. I began to feel stronger and more confident as the afternoon went on. Sherry also relayed for me to keep my legs off of his sides and sit back in the seat.
Again, others have shared this but until that very day, that place in time, did I get it and execute it successfully. Sherry knew exactly what to say to help me understand what to do. This is the mark of a true educator and communicator.
I don't care if it is horsemanship or tennis – it doesn't matter. The message was timed perfectly and communicated clearly and simply. Ahhhh, just what I had DARED to hope for.

Then, the group decided to go on the trail ride. I reached down inside me and got the answer to go also. So, we went on the 2.5 hour trail ride and as promised, Sherry was right there with me, coaching me – even when Atticus bucked; I remember the words and actions to take with the one-rein stop, legs off, seat deep and back in the saddle.

I wondered why it had taken so long to find the seat combined with leg and rein cues. Oh, no bother I thought, it is working, I'm confident and Atticus understands.

We had a lovely afternoon with a group of wonderful women and a facilitator that understood me and my needs and was there for me. She was my rock or my well in which I could draw from when I needed to. Yes indeed, I'd found salvation with my horse, and a new lifelong trainer that was efficient and effective in her communications.

This instruction and direction was only one piece of many – discussions, classroom, homework, a review of a very valuable informational packet, private time with the facilitator, group time—all the adult learning principles were covered.

In my job (the one that I do each day so my horses will have a better life!) I recruit for talent and train and develop employees myself (and have been in HR for twelve years). So when I tell you that Sherry is a very polished professional with results that are measurable, I feel I can do so emphatically, with conviction and experience.

One of the most important areas to identify on any road to success is to have a coach or mentor or whatever you want to call it. I already have two (Michelle and Colleen), and I am secure in reporting that Ms. Sherry is on the list too—Sherry, thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me reach goals and break through thresholds. I've got a long ways to go, but I know success is eminent with you on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment