Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Limited Views

Limited Views

Hello Horse Lovers,
Last month I wrote about taking time for rest and play. And I have been practicing what I preach. I have taken time to baby sit and play with my nieces and nephews, I have played cribbage with my Dad, painted with my Mom, spent more time with Keith and my own horses and enjoyed fellowship at church again. During this pause from my regular work schedule I reflected on what has happened in the past ten months, tied up the loose ends of the year, and started to think about and plan for 2010. In fact the 2010 CAMP SCHEDULE is now on my website.

As I reflected on this past year, I discovered that it has been my most productive year to date. I also realized that there are some important things I can do in 2010 to make our services even better. One of those areas involves the young horse development, apprentice program, and mini clinics with free trail rides at my house. The main improvement that is in the beginning planning stages is accommodations for both you and your horse. If I can pull it off I am going to invest in a small lodge for horse owners and new corrals for the horses.

The housing to date has either been in my spare bedroom, at Wagner’s Bunkhouse, Snyder Street Cottage or Calamus Outfitters, all of which are very nice. However, I feel that having a small lodging facility here at my own place especially for the apprentices will be very advantageous. Making this dream reality is the next step. The design is on paper, and the estimates are coming in. The next thing will be figuring out how to finance all of this. I know that if I work smart and hard this too will happen. This will be a great addition to your experience here in the sandhills with me. I will still continue to have camps at Calamus Outfitters because they have the indoor arena etc. But for individuals or small groups of 2-3 and the apprentices it will be very convenient to have this option available.

The other thing that I am going to concentrate on in 2010 is another book and making some DVD’s. These are all big projects and I may be biting off more than I can chew. But I also know that progress will not happen unless I have the vision. I wonder how long it will take for all this to happen and I don’t have an answer for that yet. However, I do know it won’t happen at all if I limit my vision of these projects. And in fact, the more clear and detailed I am about the vision the quicker it will happen.

There is a term that highway engineers call a “limited sight distance”. Simply put you will drive at a speed that is proportional to how far you can see down the road. A curved hilly and wooded road is a dreamy landscape. But the traffic movement is predictably slow and erratic when the driver’s views are limited by trees, curves and hills. Drivers must reduce their speed to compensate for the unclear path ahead, especially those not familiar with the road.

As I map out my strategy for next year, the same thing can happen if I don’t have a clear view of where I am going. My pace will be slower the more limited my view is. The detailed plans and goals that I am putting down on paper will be the visual I need to reduce my limited sight distance and drive my business full speed ahead with the new roads I am going to build and travel down in 2010 and beyond.

Everybody seems to be in a hurry to get to their destinations these days. I know I won’t be able to move at optimum speed with the plans I have for 2010 if I have limited views. So I am working to make the views as clear and detailed as possible so that I can keep moving forward without traffic congestion.

For the rest of 2009 I will still be taking private lessons at my house or the mini clinic with FREE trail rides on Wed. throughout Nov. (weather permitting).
There will also be lessons available:
Nov. 8 Broken Bow Lessons/Play Day
Nov. 13-16 Omaha and Lincoln Lessons
Nov. 28 Broken Bow (Play day)
Dec. 6 Open House Christmas Party at Sherry’s in Burwell
Dec. 11-14 Omaha and Lincoln Lessons

The 2010 Lesson and Camp Schedule are now on the website and clinic schedule will be developing soon. So if you want to host a clinic, let me know as soon as possible, as I will be very, very busy next year, and I will do my best to fit in everyone who wants to take advantage of our services.

The clear and detailed plans that I am creating on paper for the 2010 calendar year is a de-cluttering process which will improve my sight line toward my 2010 goals. Without it I will have to be prepared for stop and go driving, inconsistent speed and plenty of deer in the road. But with it I am equipped to move forward and keep on trucking down the road because my view is not limited.

In closing don’t limit your views, make a clear path, so you can achieve your goals. Then set out a road map of how to get there and you WILL DO IT !

Until next time,
Sherry Jarvis
Heart in Your Hand Horsemanship LLC
308-346-5663
308-730-2150 cell
“The only limitations you have are those which are self-imposed”. – I don’t know who said it but I’m sure I heard it somewhere.

"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision." -- Helen
Keller"People only see what they are prepared to see." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity." -- Louis Pasteur

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." -- Ayn Rand

No comments:

Post a Comment