Thursday, August 25, 2011

3rd Day with Pip

Had a 3 hour session with Pip this morning it wasn't as cool as last night but not as hot as the first day. Again I strove to work smarter not harder. I also focused on pretending I didn't have any tools. How much can I get accomplished with just my thoughts and body? I also slowed way down, waiting for the golden licks and chews often even if it took a few minutes to get them. The more soak and relaxation time I give each horse the more then want to perform me and understand I am on their side.

Started the morning off with where we left off last night; synchronized walking (with saddle on). When way better this morning, she is stopping with my breath and seat now, and it doesn't matter which side I am on, it is equally good.

Then reviewed life up life down, and circle with human in neutral giving the horse 100% responsibility to stay in gait, don't change directions, watch where you are going and by the way keep a float in the rope. Still took longer than I wanted it too, but I remained patient. Aiding her only when necessary, rewarding the slightest tries. Also worked a little on Yo Yo. Being sure that she floated back like a boat moving away from the dock. Lots of soak time on each end of the yo yo, creating sweet spots.

Started teaching backing in a circle. First couple of times she had some brace in her rib cage and didn't feel like bending. But I used the barrel for a focus and she soon found how easy it was to go around the barrel when she softened and bent her body while keeping the impulsion backwards.

Took her with me to do some other horse chores like putting out hay for my horses, filling water tanks, moving hay bales etc. She was like my partner. I just put the lead in my pocket and went about my work. Let her have a nice drink and a little hand grazing before going to the round pen for our final work out of the day, where the focus was proper posture and free forward movement with some flexion.

Ended in the round pen, instead of starting in the round pen just to keep things fresh and unpredictable, yet keeping my communication and fairness very consistent and dependable. So in other words using repetition for security in learning yet variety for motivation for willingness to learn and practice.

Really worked on shaping her body up while in the round pen, not just letting her run around without purpose, focus and form. It again took longer than I predicted but we were able to quit on a very good note. The lesson for the day for anyone reading this is SLOW DOWN be PATIENT and CONSISTENT, your horse will love you for it.

Happy Trails,
sherry



No comments:

Post a Comment