Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Testimonies: Working with Sherry

Emma on Cisco during a lesson at my house.
From Emma’s Mom: Emma spent an afternoon at Sherry’s house, riding Cisco.
Dearest Sherry,
I just want to let you know what a tremendous impact you had on Emma the other day and thought you'd like to know the great things she's told me about her day with you.

When we were leaving she was in tears... tears of joy Sherry. She said to me; "Mom, she made such a difference in my life..." and the entire way home she told me all the neat things you'd shown her, the interesting ways you explained things to her and how you kept explaining things she didn't understand until she did grasp the idea! That was huge in her eyes Sherry - that you cared enough to keep explaining instead of becoming frustrated and getting angry or upset.

She was overjoyed having learned so many new things and the vital corrections you made in her riding. You notice when she does something right and encourage her, rooting for her to do well and seeing when she's made those changes! That is something she's not had before and was used only to hearing the mistakes she was making without positive correction or encouragement when she did do something right.

That's why I was so excited to get her started with you Sherry - I saw not only how you worked at the 4-H meeting but also how she responded to your encouragement and enthusiasm! I knew you would be kind, understanding and gentle yet firm but also that you would cheer and acknowledge when she'd grasped something new or corrected the things she needed to change. Seeing the good in her and rooting her on to do better made her a very happy little girl. She needs that and it's exactly what you give! Thank you!

I wish I could remember all the things she said so I could repeat them back for you - your heart would melt - you made that big an impact on Emma Saturday and she's very eager for more. Again Sherry, thank you!!! The remainder of Emma's weekend was spent telling anybody who'd listen about her time spent with you Saturday afternoon and even Popcorn Days paled in comparison to the fun, neat times she had with you Sherry.

Emma hasn't had many adults in her life that take an interest in her or her well being and though I have actively sought to bring her together with people that do care and want to be a participant, make a difference in a child's life for the better, unfortunately we've ended up with folks that talked a good story but in the end made things more difficult and hard - if that makes sense?

You obviously are not only great at horsemanship and care about teaching people how to correctly go about riding and owning a horse but also took the time to show Emma you cared about her - that's what made the difference!
Emma just kept repeating, tearily, on the way home how you'd "made such a difference in [her] entire life" and for a mom to hear that is the best thing in the world!!

Well Sherry I won't keep you but wanted to take a moment to thank you and share some of the wonderful things I'd heard from Emma with you, and hope it's put a big smile on your face. She had a fantastic weekend thanks to you!
We look forward to seeing you Wednesday at 10:00 Sherry.
God bless,
Marguerite

And Emma, I had a fantastic time with you too and so did my special horse Cisco! Thanks for being careful to do what I asked with him, as he is so dear to me.Thanks for giving me the opportunity to serve you and share with you my love and passion of horses and especially my wonderful horse Cisco. I’m looking forward to working with your yearling filly next week.
Warmly,
Sherry


From Carla in Wyoming: Working with her Young Horse
Dear Sherry,
Thank you for the very encouraging note! The day after our lesson, I practiced the loading button. She followed me in the trailer twice, the third time she walked in and stood there on her own, just like you said she would! I’ve also been climbing on her back from the fence. How much fun is that? It is so comfortable to lay on her bare back. I then saddled her and bridled her and we rode safely and relaxed in the round pen. She stops when I use my butt and when I pick up one rein she crosses her back legs to turn. I am working her with confidence thanks to you. I’ve got two more colts to start and I am excited.
Your saddle pard,
Old Carla in WY
Thanks Backatya’ Carla. I knew you could do it! See you again next year!
Warmly,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment